- Please email questions and concerns to email@example.com
- Your concerns will be forwarded to the appropriate person or department and may be addressed via future press releases.
- Click here for the most recent information on NCSD's food distribution.
School Closure Update
May 1, 2020
Nye County School District buildings and facilities will remain closed through May 15, 2020. This decision is in compliance with Governor Sisolak’s most recent Stay at Home directive issued April 29, 2020. NCSD will continue to remain closed through May 15, 2020. The closures apply to all NCSD buildings and facilities; to all employees, students, and the public.
Learning at a Distance for our students will continue as will district processes that can be completed remotely and/or electronically. In addition, food distribution at school sites will continue uninterrupted. The reinstatement of all services will be evaluated over the next two (2) weeks as we continue to monitor positive COVID-19 cases in Nye County.
Nye County School District is in the best position to flatten the curve in the spread of the coronavirus. Please join us in our efforts and Stay Home for Nevada - Stay Home for Nye!
4th Quarter Grading InformatioN
April 22, 2020
Dear NCSD Families,
During this uncertain time, we know our students, families, and educators are facing tremendous stressors. Therefore, we must approach each student’s circumstances with positive presumptions and a do-no-harm perspective. We know this has been a tremendously difficult time for all of you. The compassion and support we have seen have genuinely touched our hearts.
As you are aware, NCSD closed schools on the first day of the fourth quarter of the 2019-2020 school year, and we quickly made a shift to a "learning at a distance" instructional model. This shift to instruction, coupled with the requirement to provide students with grades, necessitates adjustments to NCSD's current grading system to ensure fairness for all students.
Additionally, NCSD will not retain a child based on 4th quarter performance. If retention of a student is being considered, the Principal and Associate Superintendent must provide written approval, after a thorough review of data and discussions with school staff and the student's parent/guardian.
The following are the grading guidelines:
- The goal for distance learning is to continue to build academic skills for ALL students during this unique time. Students will be graded on a Pass/Fail basis. If the student or parent engages in meaningful two-way communication with school staff, the student will receive a Pass grade for the quarter.
- Secondary (6-12)
- All students will start with their Quarter 3 (Q3) grade as their final Semester 2 grade for each class and will have the opportunity to improve their semester grade by one letter grade (10%) if they demonstrate progress on work assigned by the teachers and/or communicate with the teachers about that work AND meet the attendance requirements (at least one contact every week with a teacher from the school).
- Please note: no graduation requirements have changed. The required credits for the various diplomas still apply for each grade level. If you have any questions about graduation requirements, please contact your student’s school counselor.
We want to thank each and every one of you for your efforts, support, and flexibility during this uncertain time. We will get through this together and continue to do great things for our students and families. You are all heroes in so many ways!
If you have any questions or concerns, please email your child’s administrator or call our main office number, 775-727-7743, and leave a message including your name and your student’s school so our receptionist can contact your student’s school on your behalf.
EV Visser & Kyle Lindberg Associate Superintendents
|Nevada Resources||National Resources|
Memoranda & Press Releases
- 5/26/20 - NCSD - Food Distribution Update for June
- 5/1/20 - NCSD - Extended Building Closure
- 4/22/20 - NCSD - Schools Closed through the End of the Year
- 4/22/20 - NCSD - 4th Quarter Grading (English)
- 4/15/20 - NCSD - Food Service Begins Again for the Children of Nye County
- 4/2/20 - NCSD - Test Result
- 4/1/20 #2 - NCSD - NCSD Services Involving Personal Interaction
- 4/1/20 #1 - NCSD - Governor extends school closure to April 30, 2020
- 3/24/20 - NCSD - A Message to our Families about Attendance and Work at Home
- 3/22/20 - NCSD - School Closure Update
- 3/20/20 - NV State Declaration of Emergency 05 - Regarding Education
- 3/20/20 - NV State Declaration of Emergency 03
- 3/20/20 - NDE - Announcement Regarding Accountability and Assessment
- 3/20/20 - NDE - Additional Q&A
- Topics in this Announcement Q&A
- Extended closure
- Reporting to work
- Assessment and Accountability (Testing)
- Topics in this Announcement Q&A
- 3/19/20 - UPDATED - NCSD Food Distribution
- 3/19/20 - Services to Special Education Students During School Closures
- 3/19/20 - NV Health Response - Measures to Support Students
- 3/18/20 - NDE - Note to Districts and School Leaders
- 3/18/20 - NDE - Family Resource Guide for COVID-19 (English)
- 3/18/20 - NDE - Guía de recursos familiares para COVID-19 (español)
- 3/18/20 - SafeVoice Interim Guidance COVID-19
- 3/17/20 - Canceled - NCSD Parent/Teacher Conferences
- See the 3/19/20 food distribution press release for current information.
- 3/16/20 - Office Closure Press Release
- 3/16/20 - Food Distribution Press Release
- 3/15/20 - NCSD COVID-19 Position Statement (All NV Schools Closed through 4/6/20)
- 3/15/20 - NV State Declaration of Emergency (re: schools)
- The two Press Releases from 3/13/20 are no longer valid because school has been canceled.
- 3/11/20 - NCSD Travel Restrictions Notice
- 3/4/20 - NV Dept. of Health & Human Services - COVID-19 Memo