Nye County School District utilizes substitutes in a variety of capacities. High on our priority list are qualified substitute teachers. We are dedicated to obtaining highly qualified substitute teachers for the continued education of the students of Nye County.
Applicants must possess at least 60 college credits or a degree to be eligible for a NV Department of Education Substitute Teacher License. Qualified individuals who are interested in working part-time and on-call are encouraged to look into becoming a substitute. This is a great way to meet people and to get to know people in your community while serving the students of Nye County School District!
Substitute Teacher Application Procedure
1. Applicant must submit an online application at this link, choosing the vacancy for the community in which they reside or wish to work in. The Southern Nye Schools Vacancy is for the Pahrump, Amargosa & Beatty communities only; The Northern Nye Schools Vacancy is for the Tonopah, Round Mountain, Gabbs & Duckwater communities only.
2. Human Resources will perform an initial reference/background check. Once the check is complete and the applicant is deemed eligible, Human Resources will email the applicant with instructions to make an appointment to complete employment paperwork.
3. Applicant must clear mandatory pre-employment Drug & Alcohol Testing and complete SafeSchools Online Training courses.
4. Applicant must obtain an NVDOE Substitute Teacher License (Must submit NVDOE Licensure Application with license fee and official transcripts, showing at least 60 college credits/degree or an Emergency Request form from HR if applicant does not possess the required 60 college credits/degree, etc. via the NVDOE OPAL site, prior to reporting to the NCSO for mandatory LiveScan fingerprints).
5. Applicant must complete three days of classroom observations, one each at the elementary, middle and high school level (Observations are coordinated through the school secretary only).
6. Once all other steps are completed satisfactorily, the substitute is added to Absence Management.
*Please Note: An applicant may be disqualified at any step in this procedure. Please refer to Policy 6275(c) for additional information. Nye County School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Absence Management (formerly known as AESOP)
Absence Management is a web-based application which automates our employee absence reporting and substitute placement. Once an absence has been reported, Absence Management begins securing qualified substitutes.